What is Personal Project?
The personal project encourages students to practice and strengthen their approaches to learning (ATL) skills, to consolidate prior and subject-specific learning, and to develop an area of personal interest. The personal project provides an excellent opportunity for students to produce a truly personal and often creative product/outcome and to demonstrate a consolidation of their learning in the MYP. The project offers many opportunities for differentiation of learning and expression according to students’ individual needs. The personal nature of the project is important; the project should revolve around a challenge that motivates and interests the individual student. Each student develops a personal project independently
The Aims of Personal Project
- inquire explore an interest that is personally meaningful
- take ownership of their learning by undertaking a self-directed inquiry
- transfer and apply skills in pursuit of a learning goal and the creation of a product
- recognize and evidence personal growth and development.
MYP personal project objectives
Objective A: Planning
- state a learning goal for the project and explain how a personal interest led to that goal
- state an intended product and develop appropriate success criteria for the product
- present a clear, detailed plan for achieving the product and its associated success criteria.
Objective B: Applying skills
- explain how the ATL skill(s) was/were applied to help achieve their learning goal
- explain how the ATL skill(s) was/were applied to help achieve their product.
Objective C: Reflecting
- explain the impact of the project on themselves or their learning
- evaluate the product based on the success criteria